Wednesday, January 04, 2006

January 4th, 2006:
Free breakfasts in Helsingborg

What I think:

A few months back, I had some friends visiting Helsingborg from England. They were staying at the
Radisson SAS Grand Hotel. Since they were on holiday (US/CAN: vacation), they were out nearly every night until stupid o'clock in the morning, so they were never awake to take advantage of the nice breakfasts that were included in the price of the room. They told me that I could, if I wanted, come to the hotel before work, and have breakfast there in their place. If anyone asked, I would simply give their room number. Sounded good to me.

The next day, I went to the hotel, nodded politely to the girl at the reception desk, went to the dining area, and helped myself to the very nice breakfast buffet. No one came up to ask me for my room number, or anything. It was great.

I did this a few times, with pretty much the same result. The people at reception were usually pre-occupied, so it was easy. On one occasion, a reception girl was watching me, so I strolled over to the lift (US/CAN: elevator), went up to the second floor, walked down the stairs, and into the dining area.

I told a few people about this, and they thought it was hilarious. But this one guy, Stefan, whom I know from the Charles Dickens pub, said that he does the same thing at the Marina Plaza hotel, and that he's been having breakfast there nearly every day for the past two years.

In a world where so many go without a good hotel breakfast, it's essential that people are informed that this option exists for them.

It's time that the Swedish government did something about it. That's what I think.

The news today (oh, boy)
From the world outside:

UK: Britons Go Sales Barmy:
Britons are collectively set to spend £5.5bn in the post-Christmas sales. That is half as much again as in 2004, according to a new survey. The average person expected to spend £122 in the sales, compared with £82 last year. The research comes after figures showed spending during the last two weeks of December was 3.6% higher than in 2004.
From Sky News

US: Grief, anger as all but one miner found dead: Initial reports indicated 12 had survived: Grief and anger replaced jubilation early Wednesday as mine officials announced that, despite earlier reports, only one of 13 trapped miners had survived a West Virginia mining accident.
From CNN

Sweden: Net sex trickster "assaulted 38 girls": The trial of a 30 year old man accused of sexually assaulting 38 girls he met through internet chatrooms has begun. Under various names he built up a database of 150 Swedish girls.
From The Local - Sweden's news in English

2 Comments:

Blogger monkeylogique said...

Brilliant idea! So anyone homeless or seriously skint (US/CAN: broke) that can manage to look resonably presentable could at least get one good meal a day. I'll keep that in mind if I ever end up on the street.

Enjoying the Blog especially the pics of Sweden.

5:41 pm  
Blogger Mark Base said...

Hey, thanks for the comment. Your blog looks pretty cool as well

I'll be in London from Wednesday (18th) and staying for about a week. Wanna meet up for a beer at some point? What area are you in?

2:12 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home