Thursday, June 15, 2006

Thursday, June 15th, 2006:
Speaker's Corner in Helsingborg

What I think:

From juvenile to absurd; how's that for a near-seamless sequence, eh? Here we go.

Most people have heard of Speaker's Corner in London. For those who haven't, it's located in the northeast corner of Hyde Park in central London, not far from Marble Arch tube station. Many influential and famous people have spoken there, including Karl Marx and Vladimir Lenin (of Russia's politcal past), the Suffragettes (of David Bowie's song, "Suffragette City"), and George Orwell (who wrote 1984, which was inspired by
the song by David Bowie, off his great "Diamond Dogs" album).

So you get the idea; this is a famous place. And I like early-Bowie stuff.

But I digress.

Over the past few days, I've been passing a spot in the south of Helsingborg near where I live, and I noticed that we too now have our very own Speaker's Corner. Wow.

It's a pretty awesome sight to see. It's located on a busy square, where you can find a few good vegetable stalls, and a fish van that's there on weekdays (but don't try to buy anything after 5:00 p.m. when they're closing; they can get quite rude). It's just across the square - on the other side of the church - from where the now-famous A-Team hang out.

Best of all, it's right in front of AGs, which is definitely one one the finest purveyors of basic foodstuffs for metres around.

Without further ado, here is an image of this
inspirational masterpiece of public speaking podium craftsmanship:

What is this doing there? I think that a representative from the Swedish government should come down here and stand on this monstrous thing to do some explaining. That's what I think.

7 Comments:

Blogger Mark Base said...

Brilliant!

12:24 am  
Blogger Clarissa said...

That is too funny.

7:22 am  
Blogger 34quinn said...

We have speakers corner here as well, It's like a little phone booth, you pay a buck and talk for a couple of minutes. It records you on a video clip. Every week they are aired on the local cable network the best clips that people have recorded that week at speakers corner.
I believe the money raised from speakers corner goes to local charities.
IT is amazing what some people will say and do.
But it is also a great forum to address real issues of the day and get people thinking.

2:19 pm  
Blogger Jaymie said...

Does anyone actually get up there? I probably would if I was drunk. I've been telling my friends we should go backpacking around Europe before we get too old, maybe I'll stop by and do a shout out.

6:16 pm  
Blogger Helen said...

I have no idea what it's doing there but I feel certain that it will take on it's own role in time. I love it! We all need to be heard and more importantly, we need to listen.
Peace.................

1:19 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

we have a tiny little stage in Växjö that's calles Speaker´s Corner.. it's located right in the middle of Storgatan (the main "gågata")..

7:36 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool guestbook, interesting information... Keep it UP
1992 volvo 940 se turbo fujifilm finepix a310 compatable photo printer britney spears taking a crap body jewelry varney chevrolet

5:20 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home