Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Wednesday, June 21st, 2006:
Weird art in Helsingborg -
Mystery solved (sort of)

What I think:

You may remember my post at the beginning of May about some weird glass and metal structure that graces the courtyard outside of the office building where I work. This one:
In my post, I wondered what the hell it is, and what possible use it could have.

I've now been informed by a colleague in my building that this work of "art" is meant to represent a golfball and a golf bag. She had apparently asked her boyfriend about it, who answered in a kind of "Duh, isn't it obvious?" kind of way.

I'm told that it was commissioned by the University that we share the courtyard with, and was created by some local artist or something.

But now I'm wondering why. Why a golf theme here? The buildings surrounding the courtyard consist of a University campus and some IT offices. Apparently, this site used to be a rubber factory; I think they mainly made boots. Maybe they had something to do with making golfballs as well. I don't know.

At least we know what it's supposed to be, now if we could just find out why it's there. Frankly, I'm beyond caring whether the Swedish government can provide any answers.

13 Comments:

Blogger Maritza said...

Are you sure its not a soccer ball? Maybe you're supposed to hang out in there during the chilly months and soak up the sun or something. I don't get it. Is it an intergalactic warp device? Oh silly me, it's just art.

3:46 pm  
Blogger Tug said...

ALL the bigshots in offices play golf.....don't they? And I still like my idea better.

6:24 pm  
Blogger 34quinn said...

I dunno ,,,,being a canadian my first reaction was that it was in the design of a see through igloo.....

After looking at it for a bit I like to think of it as a key hole..if you look at it from the sky ..it would resemble the old key holes in doors and then when people walk inside of it as it appears they can.....my vision would be the key hole then holds the key ( people being the key )

I am sorry to say that to me I do not see golf anywhere in it at all.

will be interesting to see what others see.

8:05 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe it was made as a place for people to get out of the rain? Just a suggestion. As for what it is supposed to be, who knows?

9:54 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Igloo, or maybe even a scaled down version of the Eden project but most likely to become an outdoor smoking room

10:43 pm  
Blogger kT said...

Maybe the Swedish government should stop attempting to support "art?"

11:53 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

At least it's not as bad as the pyramid in front of the Louvre!

4:26 am  
Blogger girl said...

I think it looks a bit phallic, but I think that about everything!

5:12 am  
Blogger Michelle said...

It is a quite interesting piece of art. It does resemble a soccer ball shaped igloo.

10:44 pm  
Blogger Jaymie said...

It looks more like a soccer or volleyball to me.

6:20 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Soccer is good !! That must kind of a temple where you can pray to the 'God of Soccer' in order to support your team...hmmm....in the case of Sweden they could remove it by now...

2:04 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i agree that it looks more like a soccer..

7:39 pm  
Blogger unfuel the planet said...

from when did a golfbag have hexagonal sides?

7:56 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home