Monday, October 16, 2006

Monday, October 16th, 2006:
Instant sleaze with Sweden's new government!

What I think:

The newly-elected Swedish government is off to a brilliant start. In the news today, the new Culture Minister, Cecilia Stegö Chilò, has resigned.

The reasons:

1. She had hired nannies and paid them cash-in-hand (US/CAN: under the table), prior to her appointment as a minister.

2. She hadn't paid her TV licence for sixteen years.

How cool is that? The Culture Minister, who is ultimately responsible for the Swedish television network for which the fee exists, hadn't paid it.

She's actually the second to go for the same reasons.

I love this country.

Here's what she had to say, "By not paying my television licence fee and employing black market domestic help in the period before becoming minister, I have committed errors which are not acceptable, but which I have attempted to rectify as far as possible."

And
The Local (Sweden's news in English), had a fantastic scoop today; they certainly managed an amazingly impressive journalistic coup by getting this exclusive quote from Stegö Chilò's Press Secretary: "We have nothing to add to the statement."

Wow.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tug said...

What I want to know is this: Do these people think that this stuff will NOT get found out? Seriously?

8:39 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL

I really have no comment.

10:52 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*clears throat*

Well...television *is* the vast wasteland for all things cultural, is it not?

What the hell am I talking about? I love tv! Yay The Simpsons!

Krammies!

12:57 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home