Sunday, August 26, 2007

Sunday, August 26th, 2007:
Helsingborg to Bjuv:
CSI: Helsingborg's first gig

What I think:

I had my first gig as a singer in a band yesterday. CSI: Helsingborg finally played at Bjuvsfestivalen, and I'd say it was pretty successful.

I started off by approaching the microphone while putting on a pair of latex gloves, and said, "Good evening Bjuv (pronouncing it "be-jewve"). We're with the crime lab."


It was kind of a weird venue really; the stage was set up under a marquee in a carpark (US/CAN: parking lot) just off the main festival road. I've got a few photos of the event to share with you.

Here's one taken when we were playing our first song. As you can see, the crowd's going wild.

But the angle of that photo is a bit deceiving, as is the apparent enthusiasm of the crowd. It was actually taken from quite far back, inside the beer tent. People were not really sitting very close to the stage.

This is actually a truer picture:

Here's one of me realising that the beer can I'm picking up is actually empty. Luckily, bassist CSI Per had stocked up, and there was a cooler full of chilled beer behind CSI Nils. So, when CSI Nils went into a guitar solo, I went into the cooler and helped myself.

Hapiness.

Drummer CSI Bengt seemed a bit jealous. Tough, innit?

After a few songs, someone finally decided to start dancing to our rockin' hits. I just had to snap a shot from the stage.

It wasn't really what I'd had in mind for an adoring fan, but what can one do?

Why's it always a drunken old fart who's the first to dance at these things anyway?

He soon had a lady friend join him and they two-stepped and foxtrotted merrily for most of the show, displaying amazing dedication and stamina.
I was particularly fond of his stylish socks and sandals accessorising skills. Note the impeccable choice of navy blue socks to provide a refreshing counterpoint to his lighter blue hat. Eat your hearts out, Trinny and Susannah. You don't need to tell him what not to wear; he's a natural at it.

Also present was my good friend and co-pub toilet inspector, Badlands. He was quite keen to show that he too is a great fan.
I also managed to get a shot of CSI Nils as he was in mid-guitar solo. Cool.


It was a really fun experience.

Bjuv, famous for Findus Frozen Foods, and frozen peas in particular, held a Miss Pea contest during the festival. Alas, I didn't stick around to find out which of the chick peas won, but it was great material for pea jokes.

I mentioned that we had considered playing a version of John Lennon's "Give Peas A Chance"...

I put forward that the question of when Miss Pea is finally crowned, would one call her simply "Miss Pea", or would the more formal "Your Royal Pea-ness" be more appropriate?

I mentioned Bjuv's importance on the world stage. I said that the fine folks at Findus Frozen Foods, whose products are exported to many countries, are partly responsible for peas in the Middle East.

I don't think that the majority of the members of the audience got these jokes, but it was the thought that counted, right?

While festivals like this are usually fun occasions, having drunken old men wearing socks and sandals dancing in front of cool bands like CSI: Helsingborg is simply scandalous.

It's time that the Swedish government did something about it. That's what I think.

P.S. Many thanks to Andy Dolphin for some of the pics.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on the gig! Obviously, you're well on your way to fame and fortune ;)

2:27 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like it was a lot of fun Mark. Check out my latest blog post. I managed to track down the Swedish government for you. =^.^=

http://krof.net/kitten/?p=157

10:47 am  
Blogger kellypea said...

Looks fun. And my mother would have been the one up and dancing if she'd been there.

And I'd take a "pea" crown. I would.

8:45 pm  
Blogger Aaron Cook said...

Hey man,

That's awesome that you're back into the band thing. I still have a few of your old songs on my computer (My Possession, Wedding, etc.). I'd love to hear some of your new stuff! :) I just read the press release:
http://www.thelocal.se/noticeboard/5792/

Oh, and by the way, you've been tagged! :)

Shine on,
Aaron

6:22 am  
Blogger Hairy Swede said...

Seriously... a petition should be started to stop old men from wearing socks and sandals!

9:58 am  
Blogger Jay said...

That's a pretty awesome first-gig story!

6:04 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home