Saturday, May 27, 2006

Saturday, May 27th, 2006:
A lesson in Swedish architecture

The city of Helsingborg, located on the southwest coast of Sweden, boasts numerous fine examples of many different types of architecture. Architecturally speaking, there's a lot to see here. Yep, if you like looking at buildings, you really should make a point of coming here.

One example of nice buildings is Helsingborg City Hall, which I have featured before.
But it's so cool that I think it's worth another look.
City Hall is the building on the left; the one with the clock tower.
This style of building is called Neo-Gothic. I like Gothic stuff, even if it is Neo. So, in my books, this building is very nice indeed.

The building right next to it (in the foreground) is a bank. It's a really good example of a quazi-square-shaped box. And it's got an ATM, which is handy when you need to take money out.


Here endeth the lesson.


6 Comments:

Blogger Maritza said...

that's one of the nicest neo-quasi-box shaped buildings with ATM and awnings I have ever, ever (and I do mean EVER) seen. Sweden is the leader is quasi architecture, neo or not.

3:31 pm  
Blogger Tug said...

I must say I agree with maritza, & couldn't have said it better. ;-)

4:59 am  
Blogger Gunny John said...

The neo-gothic is pretty impressive looking. Nice pic.

5:46 am  
Blogger kT said...

Depending on the date of the bank building, I'd say that it's a Renaissance Revival building -- textbook, but nice. Key elements of the style include the tripartite organization: a rusticated (faked to look "heavy" and supportive, including the exaggerated kye stones in the arches) base, or ground floor, separated by a string course molding, a two-story body, and a cap -- the cornice and balustrade up top.

Thus endeth my addendum to Mark's very nice lecture.

Sweden has way nicer "box buildings" than we do. And the city hall is still gorgeous.

7:38 pm  
Blogger Maritza said...

Are you out visiting boxy buildings? You haven't posted in a while.

9:20 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a Base, this is good. But there are better angles to get this building on film, uhh, bits...eerrrhh, or what's that called nowadays??
...and I should know, since I've seen this building in different shapes from exactly the same Base view...

10:16 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home