Thursday, June 08, 2006

Thursday, June 8th, 2006:
The enigmatic Pussi in Sweden

What I think:

I've had a good few people wondering why I hadn't blogged for quite some time. Besides the obvious excuses of laziness, work, soul-incarceration, pursuit by the CIA, Brazilian waxings, lack of inspiration, being in two rock 'n' roll bands, ricin poisoning, and being kidnapped & made to work as a Zimbabwean tour guide, I've simply been sleeping.*

(*NOTE: Some of these excuses may not necessarily be true; delete those you don't believe. )

In any case, I recently visited Gothenburg to meet up and have drinks with a load of people who post regularly on the discussion forum on The Local (Sweden's news in English). This group consisted mainly of expats who now live in Sweden, but there were a couple of visiting Yanks, which was the main reason for our assembly (there was also a Brit who came specifically for the occasion, but he's from Burnley, so I'm not sure if I should count him). As can be expected with such a gathering, the conversation of some of this debauched lot inevitably turned to Pussi.

Before your minds plummet into the gutter (of bliss), Pussi is in fact a brand of cat food here in Sweden. Much merry mirth was had by all discussing the merits of Pussi; the fact that it's conveniently available in tin-form at your local supermarket, that it comes in many flavours (not just fish), and that it's fairly inexpensive to purchase.



As it turns out, my cat and I have something in common:
we both really enjoy a bit of Pussi quite regularly.



I think we have somewhat different ideas of what it should look & taste like;
I'm not so fond of the idea of going for duck & chicken flavour myself,
but to each their own, I say.
But honestly, just look at her idea of a good portion of Pussi:

There's simply too much confusion about the true meaning of Pussi in conversations in mixed crowds consisting of Swedes and non-Swedes. And cats and... err...non-cats. It's time that the Swedish government did something about it. That's what I think.

Please feel free to leave a comment with stupid jokes about Pussi. I pretty much expect it anyway.

20 Comments:

Blogger Littlefair said...

Well excuse me for barging in and saying you had best bloody mention the token English guy. A lot of effort was put into flying to Sweden for a party. Also drinking that much beer.

9:28 am  
Blogger Mark Base said...

Littlefair, Gothenburg's local economy thanks you, I'm sure.
Of the local community however, I'm not so sure.

9:47 am  
Blogger Christa said...

LOL...languages and brand names can be confusing at times. I've heard Swedes refer to erasure as "rubber"...which is both right and at the same time very wrong :p

Thanks for stoppin' by and say howdy at my blog btw :D

3:43 pm  
Blogger High Priestess Kang said...

Magnus, Dock and I went to ICA Maxi just for the Pussi. We have loads of pictures of us in the Pussi aisle in fits of laughter.

Never, in my 16 years of being a Semi-Swede...had I seen anything so funny as Pussi in a can. Never!!!!

Mjau.

3:44 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, something I learnt in Fargo N.D a long time ago was:

If it smells like eude cologne - leave it alone.

If it smells like fish - eat all you wish.

A good rule - and your cat seems to have been to Fargo.

6:39 pm  
Blogger kT said...

Amazing the things you can learn in a place that named a Cohen Brothers' movie.....

Pussi in a can. [snork]

6:47 pm  
Blogger m said...

great minds think alike. Did you see what I wrote about on Thursday? PUSSI. Must have been one of those pussi days. Except mine is As Good As It Looks! LOL!

8:56 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amazing the things you can learn in a place that named a Cohen Brothers' movie.....

Well, the boring thing 'bout the movie was that is was about Minnesota - nothing shot N.D

//Badlands

2:16 am  
Blogger Maritza said...

First it was the infamous Swedish Penis Englarger as mentioned by Austin Powers in one of those movies and now it's "Pussi in a Can". What will you crazy Swedes think of next?

3:17 pm  
Blogger Maritza said...

Umm, you are in Sweden right?

3:17 pm  
Blogger Clarissa said...

I like a little Pølsemannen in my Pussi.

4:46 pm  
Blogger m said...

if you thought that Pussi As Good As It Looks was bad, check this entry in the pussi quest. For the love of mankind, don't drink or eat anything while viewing. I don't want to be responsible for your laptop keyboard!

7:22 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

LOL!!! Cats everywhere love pussi!

11:57 am  
Blogger Tug said...

If all the reasons aren't true, I don't wanna know.....life is more fun this way - lala land & all. but I'm confused.......is the CIA pursuing you BECAUSE of the brazillian waxings?

3:53 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

let me know when you can get dikk in a can and i wll be on the next plane out of west, texas to sweden...
thanks for stopping by and commenting on my post.

4:17 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmm..didnt say who i am...yellowdog granny...thanks again

4:19 pm  
Blogger kT said...

Ja, I know that Fargo mostly took place in Brainerd, MN. But who goes to see a movie named Brainerd?

9:47 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well, i just had friends over from calif. and took them down the infamous petfood aisle. and not only did we get our pussi fun, but now they had barbequed pussi. now this just got them crying outta laughter and i had to drag them out. we must thank purina for making pussi for sweden. its making it a memorable moment for tourists.

11:12 pm  
Blogger Littlefair said...

Errrrrr..... excuse me Mr Markbase but I see no link to my blog or my website. Any chance of you hooking me up?

8:34 pm  
Anonymous carddesignrr said...


Treat Your Pets Like Royalty with Custom-Made Masterpieces.

Most pet owners would consider their adored furry friends part of the family, and some might even treat their animals like royalty. superfast2017 is a pet portrait creator that allows you to transpose photos of your pet’s head onto the body of a classic portrait painting to create a custom masterpiece.

Get a pet portrait of your best buddy or give it as a unique gift! I've completed countless pet portraits from pet memorials to funny gifts of all occasions. I love capturing the pet's personality and will work with you until it's perfect!

Custom Pet Portrait Design Service
Don't Wait to see your Beloved Pet in a Adorable Masterpiece.
Upload your pet picture here get Renaissance custom pet portrait

8:25 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home