Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Saturday, May 19th, 2007:
Restaurant (tag) in Helsingborg

What I think:

Uh-Oh. I got tagged by Tug.

This particular Meme is kind of interesting though.

On the one hand, it's cool because it's one that will spread quite widely, if everyone plays how they're supposed to. It's actually gone around the world already.

On the other hand, it's a bit of a nightmare for me; you'll soon discover why.

Here's what you're supposed to do:


1. Add a direct link to your post below the name of the person who tagged you. Include the city/state and country you’re in.

Nicole (Sydney, Australia)
velverse (Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia)
LB (San Giovanni in Marignano, Italy)
Selba (Jakarta, Indonesia)
Olivia (London, England)
ML (Utah, United States)
Lotus (Toronto, Canada)
tanabata (Saitama, Japan)
Andi (Dallas [ish], Texas, United States)
Lulu (Chicago, Illinois, United States)
Chris (Boyne City, Michigan, United States)
AB (Cave Creek, Arizona, United States)
Johnny Yen (Chicago, Illinois, United States)
Bubs (Mt Prospect, Illinois, United States)
Mob (Midland, Texas United States)
Yas (Ahwatukee, Arizona USA)
Alicia(Idaho Falls, Idaho, USA)
Tug (Hell, Colorado, USA)
Mark Base (Helsingborg, Sweden)


2. List out your top 5 favorite places to eat at your location.

3. Tag 5 other people (preferably from other countries/states) and let them know they’ve been tagged.


Here we go:

Actually, what makes this particularly tough for me is that Helsingborg is not exactly the culinary capitol of Scandinavia. So I don't really go out to eat much.

Actually, all pubs here are also "restaurants", in the sense that they're obliged - by law - to have a menu of hot meals available to order, at least until a certain time of the evening. Bet you didn't know that, did you!?

Picking five of my favourite places to eat is no easy task; not because I'm spoiled for choice, but because there's not much here that's really worth mentioning. But if I have to pick five, I'd go for the following:

1. Olssons Skafferi - I'm not sure what a "skafferi" is, but it sounds funky, don't you think? This is right in front of a nice church called Mariakyrkan (Maria Church), in the centre of town. It's a small Italian restaurant, very cozy, and with good food at reasonable prices. This is one of the very few places I'd recommend. Another would be:

2. Zoo Bar - This is also in the centre, close to a few decent pubs. Yes, it's a bar, but they do some really good stir-fries in woks here. Very good prices, and you get a decent amount for your money.

3. Gyllene Prag - This is a Czech restaurant/bar. The prices are OK for what you get, plus they've got good Czech beer, of course.

4. Thai Corner - I've only ever been here at lunch, but it seemed pretty good. It seems like the Swedes have a thing for all things Thai (Thailand is one of the top holiday destinations), so there's no shortage of Thai cuisine, if that's your thing.

5. Charles Dickens Pub - I'm mentioning this because it's probably the place where I've eaten at most (I was going to say "eaten out" at, but this would be open to a rude interpretation, and I'm trying to keep this blog as family-friendly as possible; avoiding situations in which someone would guffaw, and some kid would ask one of his parents, "Why is that weird man laughing at 'eating out'?". And we don't want that, now do we? Oops.). Food at "Dickens" is actually quite good, and fairly inexpensive.

All "restaurants" I mentioned have a vegetarian option: lettuce.

There is not nearly enough variety in restaurants here in Helsingborg, and it's time that the Swedish government did something about it. That's what I think.

Here are the people I choose to tag:

1. Emilie from "Chroniques d'un blog annoncé". She's from Montreal - this might be in French.
2. Jay from Kill The Goat. She's from Toronto and drinks far too many Martinis, so she might not remember: a) to do this, or b) the names of any restaurants she may or may not frequent. I know that we already have a Torontonian on the list above, but Jay's - erm - special.
3. Clarissa from "I Love The Smoke" - reporting from London. Yeah, I know there's another person from London on the list, but London's big, and it's worth hearing from someone else. And Clarissa's - erm - unique. Ish.
4. High Prietess Kang from "The World According to Kang", from one of those Carolina things they have in the States.
5. SinisterDan from "The Reasonable Ego". Another Canadian, this one from New Brunswick. I believe that he's too funny. He must die.

I hope these good people will honour us with some tastly little titbits (stop sniggering) about restaurants where they are...

21 Comments:

Blogger lulu said...

Is there no Swedish food in Sweden?

12:37 am  
Blogger Mark Base said...

Meatballs. Yum.

12:43 am  
Blogger Tug said...

Thanks for playing with me! (the MEME - family friendly & all) I'm impressed by your vegetarian offerings... ;-)

12:49 am  
Blogger Mark Base said...

Oh yeah.

Something for everyone.

12:55 am  
Blogger Nicole said...

Where are the meatballs?!!! I was half expecting them!! I LOVE MEATBALLS!!

But nicely done tag...Olssons Skafferi sounds like a nice cozy place for a yummy meal...and Gyllene Prag hmmm must go there and try the czech beer..never tried those before...and Charles Dicken Pub?? must go there too...arghh me super hungry now!

Ps thanks for doing the tag. If you know of anyone else doing it please feel free to send me a message and I’ll update them too on the updated list of tag doers

3:57 am  
Blogger Blogueuse Cornue said...

This MeMe sounds pretty interesting! Now I have to figure out what are my 5 favorite places to eat... Yum Yum!

7:28 am  
Blogger Swedish_Bikini_Team said...

Mistress Kang did hers and then tagged moi, which you can read here if you like: http://krof.net/kitten/?p=116

1:26 pm  
Blogger Swedish_Bikini_Team said...

Oops...I forgot to mention. 'Tis me, Kitten. My Blogger name is Swedish Bikini Team.

1:32 pm  
Blogger robkroese said...

I don't think SinisterDan eats.

6:47 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay.. after reading ur list.. Zoo Bar sounds very very cool. Not to mention the great name and good prices.

And I must say.. I totally agree.. Skafferi sounds so funky. Hemm so you never get to know what it means? If you do know. Let me know what such funky word means :D

Thanks for your list. Lovely and I know I will get great stuff with fair price :D

11:43 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't be shy Mark - you like Olsson's skafferi because´it reminds you of Badlands Olsson...

10:44 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not much of a choice there huh?

Btw, thanks for visiting my blog.

2:59 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is apopular restaurant in Chicago, Ann Sathers. They serve meatballs and other delish stuff.

Just dropping by to say hello. I wrote a review for a local restaurant na d got invited the next day to be paid to tr yrestaurants and review them. Thanks but no thanks.

9:27 am  
Blogger Jay said...

This was a bad post to read when hungry and too lazy to cook.

And whaddaya mean, special?

4:43 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog.

7:20 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"...what makes this particularly tough for me is that Helsingborg is not exactly the culinary capitol of Scandinavia."

Well Mark, there are actually three Helsingborg restaurants consistently in the top ten list.
Gastro, Niklas & Sofiero Slottsrestaurang.
You made no mention of price being a factor.

4:46 pm  
Blogger Mark Base said...

My apologies.

Price is a factor; I'm not into extortion.

5:44 pm  
Blogger Mark Base said...

Another thought - how about a bit of variety?

Three over-priced so-called "topnotch" restaurants, at which the majority of people can't afford to eat at, do not make Helsingborg a dining hotspot.

10:10 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Totally agree about the prices Mark, but I was commenting on your comment "Helsingborg is not exactly the culinary capitol of Scandinavia". Course it's not, it's usually the capital in any country. But there is great choice here for a town of Helsingborgs population.
Anyhoo, try a lunchtime 'dagens' at Sofiero sometime. It's worth it - even the evening meals are, IMHO, good value. It's only when you add the cost of booze that it begins to hurt. Try Pub Ro in Norra Hamn for reasonable value-for-money nosh. Poor choice of Öl though. Bit of a long walk home for you too!

9:14 am  
Blogger Mark Base said...

Hej Franko:

I forgot about Pub Ro, actually. I have been there, and it's OK...so there you go, folks.

Join me in thanking Franko for additional noshing venues.

Come on over, but bring a big wallet.

3:13 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Punkten

7:35 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home